The sea cucumber as healthy delicacy has a long history in China. In the Chinese language the sea cucumber is called “hai shen” which means “sea ginseng” in direct translation. The Chinese are the biggest consumers of sea cucumbers in the world and use it to treat high blood pressure and joint pain as well as low libido. Consumption of sea cucumbers has existed over 500 million years. In Indonesia the sea cucumber is considered to have many healing uses because it is one of the earth’s oldest living creatures.
Sea cucumbers contain:
Collagen which is a key protein structure of the human body. Collagen proteins ensure that human body's tissues remain strong.
Chondroitin sulfate is an important structural component of cartilage and provides much of its resistance to compression. It is also a painkiller for those suffering from joint pain. Chondroitin sulfate has become a widely used dietary supplement for treatment of osteoarthritis.
Amino acids are the basis for the structure of proteins. Sea cucumbers contain important amino acids that the human body can not produce itself, such as:
- Methionine which improves blood flow and human bodýs energy, contributes to form skin proteins and insulin.
- Lysine which promote brain development and fat metabolism, control the pineal gland, mammary gland, corpus luteum, ovaries and prevents cell degeneration. Lysine is an integral part of liver and gallbladder.
- Tryptophan which contributes to form gastric juice and insulin.
- Valine which promotes normal function of the nervous system, acting specially in corpus luteum, breast and ovaries.
- Threonine which support balance in human bodýs amino acids.
- Leucine which can lower blood sugar levels and enhance healing of the skin, wounds and bones.
- Isoleucine which adapts thymus, spleen, and brain metabolism to keep physiological balance of the human body. Phenylalanine that reinforces kidney and bladder function. These nutrients can increase the activity of immune cells to help the human body to form antibodies.
- Mucopolysaccharide which lowers blood pressure and reduces the possibility of atherosclerosis.
Some studies have shown Saponins can increase the activity of immune cells of the body and contribute to the formation of antibodies and delay aging.
Marine animal kills cancer cells, mitigates side effects of chemotherapy Watch Carol Alt talk about Cancer on A Healthy You.